Job Number: 66150
Position: Design Checking Specialist
Pay Rate: $56/hr
Location: hybrid position/Sterling Heights MI, Phoenix AZ or San Jose CA
JOB DESCRIPTION: Design Checking Specialist
SKILLS: Design Checking Specialist
- Examines engineering CAD models, drawings and documentation for accuracy, completeness, and sound design to prescribed standards and contractual requirements.
- Interprets applicable drawing standard requirements and assesses the quality of the technical backup data.
- Investigates errors and recommends solutions. Provides direction in the correction of errors in calculations, dimensions, and design specifications. Collaborates with program managers, engineers, drafters and designers.
- Exercises authority to reject incorrect documentation in terms of technical content, standards, and specifications.
- Supports Drafting/Drawing Standards and reference manual revisions.
- Problem Solving: Selects appropriate alternative sources of information and utilizes them to evaluate situations with supervision.
- Area of Impact: Restricted to own team or department.
- Nature of Impact: Directly impacts the quality of services provided by self or others.
- Interpersonal Skills: Courtesy and tact is a significant part of the job in the exchange of information within the department.
- Negotiation Skills: Limited negotiation required.
- Project Management: Project/Program team member.
SKILLS PREFERRED: Design Checking Specialist
Possess technical knowledge and familiarity with relevant military and commercial design standards.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE: Design Checking Specialist
A minimum of 8 years of design experience plus 4 years as a checker; or 5 years as an engineer and 2 years as a checker.
EXPERIENCE PREFERRED: Design Checking Specialist
Prefer design experience with relevant applications in a defense environment. Requires the ability to analyze Models and Drawings to the BAE SOP's and Guidelines utilizing Creo (recent experience required).
EDUCATION: Design Checking Specialist
- Strong knowledge of products and functional or technical area;
- good knowledge of engineering principles and practices in area of expertise.
- A thorough understanding of applicable ASME and MIL standards including but not limited to MIL-STD-31000, ASME Y14.2-2014, ANSI Y14.5, ASME Y14.24, ASME Y14.35 and ASME Y14.41
- Skilled in the application and understanding of GD&T (ASME Y14.5M), broadly equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience with the validation of tolerance stacks including impact of GD&T.
- Familiarity with common manufacturing practices and capabilities, experience supporting build events, both prototype and production.
- Good communication skills, common sense and the patience to explain drawing changes, standards requirements and represent documentation requirements at meetings etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work and communicate with direct supervisors.
- Demonstrated proficiency in organizing and executing checking work while being sensitive to schedule.
- Able to perform other tasks, duties or special projects as assigned by direct supervisor or Department Manager.
- A proven track record of complying with company policies and procedures.
- Self-starter with the ability to take initiative.
- Good problem solving and organizational skills
- The ability to effectively check to and enforce strict compliance to the BAE System Model and Drawing SOP's and Guidelines.
- Up-to-date knowledge with the latest available engineering technology in the technical field. As required, knowledgeable of complete manufacturing processes related to assigned product or functional area.
- Ability to identify, define, interpret, and resolve engineering problems involving conflicting design/contractual/policy or technical requirements across functional areas and with difficult coordination requirements.
- Ability to assist in the preparation of technical reports, papers, and presentations and deliver them in written and oral form to customers, industry leaders, and senior management.
- Ability to assist in the development of new and creative technical solutions to complex engineering problems.,
Prefer design and checking experience with relevant applications in a defense environment.
- Bachelors Degree in a relevant technical discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; plus,
- minimum of 8 years of design experience plus 4 years as a checker; or 5 years as an engineer and 2 years as a checker.
- Requires 3D CADD modeling and drafting experience. Defense experience is a big plus.
Shift: 7:00am - 4:30 pm, 9/80
OT Expected: yes, estimated 10 hrs/week
EEO Statement Apollo Professional Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability status, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, protected veteran status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status or characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.