Job Number: 68190
Pay Rate: $24.91-$32.78/hr.
Newport News, VA
Designs components or portions of systems and modifies existing designs to develop or improve products and facilitate manufacturing operations. Utilizes computer-aided design equipment and/or graphic tools such as, CAD, CAM or CATIA. Gathers information, makes studies, computes calculations, and prepares original rough layouts, sketches to present design proposal. Coordinates design criteria with engineering, manufacturing, tooling, material, and planning group such as ease of manufacture, availability of materials, and contractual specifications. Exclude classifications in which incumbents predominantly perform drafting assignments.
Basic Qualifications: Designer 2
Associates Degree and 1 year of experience. 2 years of related experience can be substituted for Associates degree. 4 years of non-related experience can be substituted for Associates degree. An Apprentice Certificate or graduation from Navy Nuclear Power School can be substituted for Associates degree.
Special Requirements: Designer 2
- **POTENTIAL HYBRID POSITION**
- The successful candidates should have a general working knowledge of shipbuilding and design integration.
- This position is specific for developing visual work instructions for trades across all shipbuilding disciplines as a level 2 employee.
- Candidates should have experience with Siemens Teamcenter and NX (3D).
- Candidates should be familiar with basic weld joint designs (Naval).
- The successful candidates must be able to coordinate design criteria with other departments and external organizations to ensure that all requirements are meet.
- This individual will need good oral and written skills, and be comfortable "directing traffic" between all involved parties with limited supervision.
Preferred experience: Designer 2
- Prior shipbuilding experience
- Experience working with technical documents/drawings
- Sheet Metal Fabrication
- Steel Fabrication Pipe design: installation, MMAP, Hanger Details
- Machinery background with emphasis on GD&T (shop &/or ship)
- Cableway design
- Ability to adapt quickly to change
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with suppliers/customers
- Use of SAP for schedule and material look ups
- Technical writing
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word & Excel)
EEO Statement Apollo Professional Solutions, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability status, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, protected veteran status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other status or characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.